On a hot summer day in late August, I sought shade and a cool drink at a waterfront cafe on a Greet island. Over hundred degrees in 1 air. Crowded. Tempers of both the tourists and waiters had 2 to meet the situation, making it a rather quarrelsome environment.
At the table next to mine sat an attractive, 3 couple, waiting for 4 . They held hands, whispered, kissed, and laughed. Suddenly they stood, picked up their 5 and stepped together 6 the edge of where they were sitting to place the table in the sea water. The man stepped 7 for the two chairs. He politely 8 his lady in the kneed-deep water and then sat down himself. All people around laughed and cheered. 9 appeared. He paused for just a second, walked into the water to 10 the table and take their 11 , and then walked back to the 12 cheers of the rest of his 13 . Minutes later he returned carrying a bottle of wine and two glasses. Without pausing, he went 14 into the water to 15 the wine. The couple toasted(祝酒) each other, the waiter and the crowd. And the crowd 16 by cheering and throwing flowers to them. Three other tables 17 to have lunch in the water. The place was now filled with laughter.
One doesn’t step into water in one’s best summer clothes. Why not?
Customers are not served 18 . Why not?
Sometimes one should consider 19 the line of convention(常规) and enjoy 20 to the fullest.
1. A. fresh B. cool C. still D. thin
2. A. managed B. expected C. attempted D. risen
3. A. lonely B. curious
C. well-dressed D. bad-tempered
4. A. cheers B. service C. attention D. flowers
5. A. metal table B. empty bottle C. chairs D. bags
6. A. on B. off C. around D. along
7. A. outside B. forward C. down D. back
8. A. led B. seated C. watched D. received
9. A. The manager B. A friend C. A waiter D. The servant
10. A. set B. wash C. remove D. check
11. A. menu B. bill C. food D. order
12. A. loud B. anxious C. familiar D. final
13. A. tourists B. customers C. fellows D. assistants
14. A. at last B. in time C. once more D. as well
15. A. change B. drink C. sell D. serve
16. A. replied B. insisted C. agreed D. understood
17. A. prepared B. joined in C. settled up D. continued
18. A. with pleasure B. in the café C. in the sea D. with wine
19. A. following B. keeping C. limiting D. crossing
20. A. life B. wine C. lunch D. time
1—5 CDCBA 6—10 BDBCA 11—15 DABCD 16—20 ABCDA